Skip to main content

THE BEST PUMPKIN ROLL EVER! TRY THIS RECIPE OUT!!

   This is brought to you by www.howdoesshe.com .  Give it a try, it may suprise you!

   When I was at University, I had a roommate who gave me her recipe for a pumpkin roll… I loved it!!! Several times I made it and while it was good, something was off about it. Eventually I figured out that I had written “tbsp” instead of “tsp” for baking soda… oops ;)




Now that that problem has been solved, I bring you the perfect pumpkin roll recipe! It’s not just me who loves it- we have had bidding wars at church dessert auctions over this thing. Even my husband (who doesn’t like pumpkin) loves it. People are always asking me for it, so I thought it would be an appropriate thing to share with you as we enter this Autumn season.



Here’s the recipe:

Pumpkin Roll Recipe
Roll
1 cup sugar
1 tsp. soda
3/4 cup flour
2/3 cup pumpkin (canned- not pie filling, pure pumpkin)
3 eggs
1/2 tsp. cinnamon
1/2 cup walnuts (optional- I exclude them cuz I’m not a fan of walnuts)
Mix everything except nuts.
Grease & wax cookie sheet.
Pour into pan & sprinkle nuts.
Bake 15 min. at 375 degrees.
Roll into T-towel for about 10 minutes.
Unroll & spread in filling.
Filling
8 oz. cream cheese (250g)
1 tsp. vanilla
1 cup powdered sugar
2 tbsp. soft butter


  Mix well.

…and because if you’re like me, and you hadn’t tried a “roll” before this one, I thought you might want a visual & a few little tips from someone who has made this several times… I photographed the whole process for you:




This is the grease & wax part (wax paper first, then grease). I crease the wax paper around the edges so that it stays in place better, like this:




(which helps the shape of the cake-ish part of the roll)… also, grease it really really well (it’s not cool when the cake won’t come off of the wax paper).




Now pour your mixture onto the pan & smooth it out so that it fills the pan like so:




…and you’re ready for baking. Keep an eye on it near the end of the baking time- you want it a bit brown- if it turns black… you’ve gone too far!




Once you’ve got it out of the oven, you’re at the flip stage. I usually put the pan down first, then a tea towel, then an upside down pan. (I was using my other pan this time, so I used a lunch tray- but you get the idea). Grab hold of the whole thing (with oven mitts on!) and flip it over onto the cool tray.




Congratulations, you pulled off the flip! (are you still with me?) I threw the above picture in for you in case it helps illustrate the order of things (I’ve now removed the pan I cooked it in, and we’re ready to remove the wax paper).




Carefully pull the wax paper away- you really don’t want your cake to stick to the wax paper or start to come apart- this part is really important (that’s why I wanted you to grease your wax paper really well).
…oh, and now you know what my other pan was busy doing (did you notice the tea towel switch?)
I was making 2 rolls when I photographed this (you only need one tea towel).




Next you’re going to roll up the end of your tea towel (as shown above) and then continue rolling- with the cake and the tea towel. Do this carefully- the cake can crack at this stage if you’re not gentle with it.




Leave your roll sitting like that for 10 minutes so that it’ll cool before you spread your filling in. You can mix your filling during this time.




Unroll (careful that the cake doesn’t stick to the tea towel &  get pulled apart). Plop the filling on top.




Spread it around- almost to the edges, but you don’t have to quite go all the way or it’ll just goosh out when you roll it again.




Re-roll it & voila!
Wait ’til you taste it… I’m in love with the filling!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

VANILLA PEACH COFFEE CAKE!!

Did you know that the fruit this summer is supposed to be the best it has been in years? Apparently, fruit loves hot weather. I personally have eaten more peaches and cherries this summer than I have in about five years just for that reason.  As I have been a little overzealous lately buying peaches and cherries I found myself with a few peaches that were going to be too ripe for me to eat on the same day. That is unless I wanted to have them for every meal plus a few snacks. So I decided to make this recipe for Vanilla Peach Coffee Cake.  Vanilla Peach Coffee Cake Adapted from  Allrecipes.com Batter: 2 eggs 1 C milk 1/2 C oil 1 tsp. vanilla 1/2 C  sour cream 3 C flour 1 C sugar 1 tsp. baking powder 1/2 tsp. salt 1/2 tsp. baking soda Topping: 5 or 6 large peaches, diced. 3 Tbsp. butter, melted 11/4 C brown sugar 1Tbsp. cinnamon 2 tsp. nutmeg 4 Tbsp. flour Vanilla Icing: 1 Tbsp. butter 1 tsp

PRESENT TOPIARY TO DECORATE YOUR PORCH AND FRONT DOOR!

   This comes from www.thatvillagehouse.blogspot.com .  I made something similar a couple years ago, without the pots.  It was about 6 feet high.  I got the inspiration from a Chirstmas dectoration that we bought at Target. This is a very good idea and make a great enterance to your home.  So here's a little something to thing about for next year.  Before you know it December will be here again.  You could also do something like this for an Easter theme.   Enjoy! A Merry Welcome! So here is my first Christmas project for the year!! I saw something similar at our church's Advent celebration & pretty much straight up copied it. I couldn't help it. It was love at first sight! I plan to make a 2nd stack to go on the other side of my door, so I'm not completely done, but I thought I would share it with you anyway. I started with 3 different sized boxes...9, 12 & 14 inch cubes. I used an ice pick to punch holes in each of them so that I could run

SAPPORO SNOW FESTIVAL FROM JAPAN!!!

     The Sapporo Snow Festival is a famous festival held annually in Sapporo, Japan, over 7 days in February.  Currently, Odori Park, Susukino, and Tsudome are the main sites of the festival.  The 2011 Yuki-matsuri dates are February 7th to the 13th.    The festival is one of Japan's largest and most distinctive winter events.  In 2007, about 2 million people visited Sapporo to see the hundreds of snow statues and ice sculptures at the Odori Park and Suskino sites, in central Sapporo, and the Satoland site.  The festival is thought to be an opportunity for promoting international relations. The International Snow Sculpture Contest has been held at the Odori Park sit since 1974, and teams from various regions of the world participate.      The subject of the statues varies and often features as event, famous building or person from the previous yer.  For example, in 2004, there were statues of Hideki Matsui, the famous baseball player who at that time pl