Skip to main content

DIY GEODISIC PAPER ORNAMENT!

   This diy comes from www. balzerdesigns.typepad.com.  Enjoy making a few of these for your own very special Christmas tree.


  This guest post on making geodisic paper ornaments is from Chel Micheline. This is a super fun project that I think you'll want to try! There are so many possibilities once you've got the basic technique!



Ornament_image1

 
Ornament_image1


Supplies:
  • 2 or more sheets of paper (cardstock weight or thicker)
  • Cutting tool (I used Sizzix #113472 Circle 3-D Ornament die in my Cuttlebug– but a circle punch, craft knife, scissors, etc. will work fine)
  • Adhesive (I use Aleen's Fast Tack but double stick tape or even a stapler would be fine)
Begin by cutting 20 circles out of your favorite paper. I used Basic Grey's "Mistletoe & Pear" and K & Company's "Swell Noel." The trick with this ornament is to use HEAVY paper- the heavier the better. Cardstock weight patterned paper is great- the thin paper that comes in stacks or origami paper? Not so great.
You can use thinner sheets of paper, but back each sheet with some heavier paper first, otherwise when it comes time to actually construct the ornament, you will get so frustrated you will throw it out the window before you finish it. Trust me, the first few of these I made, I attempted to use wrapping paper. Hours later, I gave up and stomped away from my desk in tears. I still eye my pretty origami paper from time to time with these ornaments in mind, but I all I have to do is remember "the Day of Ornament Frustration" and I am reminded WHY I have to use cardstock.
Back to *this* ornament: I used my Cuttlebug and the Sizzix Circle 3-D die, but a circle punch would work fine, as would a careful hand and some scissors.
Note: If you aren't using the Sizzix die, which embosses folding lines into your circles, you are going to have to create the folds yourself. There's two ways of doing this - either eyeball it (which generally works, but things can get wonky) or use the template I'm including with this tutorial - simply size it in Photoshop or Word so that the circle is the same size as the one you've punched out.


Ornament_template

Ornament_template

 
Fold along the triangular folding lines of each circle, so you make a little "cup" out of them. The folds should be TOWARDS the side of the paper you want to be on the outside of the ornament.


Ornament_image4


Now for basic ornament construction - the ornament will have 5 circles on the top, 10 in the middle, and 5 on the bottom. I like to organize my circles BEFORE I begin construction so I don't end up with two same - pattern circles bumped up against each other when the ornament is complete. Regardless, it REALLY helps if you organize your circles into a group of 5, a group of 10, and a group of 5.


Ornament_image5


Begin constructing the top of your ornament- simply glue the flaps together to create a little "cap." When flipped upside down, it looks like a little flower.
Repeat this for the bottom of your ornament - 5 circles together to form another cap.



Ornament_image6

For the center of your ornament, glue the 10 remaining circles together to form a chain.


Ornament_image7

When the center chain is dry dry, attach one end of the chain to the other, making a bangle shape. This will be the foundation of your ornament.


Ornament_image8


Now, place some glue on the outside edges of the top cap of the ornament, and affix it to the outside edges of the center of the ornament.


Ornament_image9

When that is dry, repeat with the bottom cap.
You'll end up with a completed ornament. You can do a lot of things with this guy: spritz it with glimmer mist, ink the edges with gold ink, or use a gold leafing pen or some Stickles. When it's all done there are two ways to make a hanger: (1) thread a ribbon through the entire thing top-to-bottom or (2) punch a hole through one of the flaps and thread a ribbon through it.
Here's one I made a few months ago, using hand-painted/stamped paper and with the edges stamped in gold ink:


Ornament_image10

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

VANILLA PEACH COFFEE CAKE!!

Did you know that the fruit this summer is supposed to be the best it has been in years? Apparently, fruit loves hot weather. I personally have eaten more peaches and cherries this summer than I have in about five years just for that reason.  As I have been a little overzealous lately buying peaches and cherries I found myself with a few peaches that were going to be too ripe for me to eat on the same day. That is unless I wanted to have them for every meal plus a few snacks. So I decided to make this recipe for Vanilla Peach Coffee Cake.  Vanilla Peach Coffee Cake Adapted from  Allrecipes.com Batter: 2 eggs 1 C milk 1/2 C oil 1 tsp. vanilla 1/2 C  sour cream 3 C flour 1 C sugar 1 tsp. baking powder 1/2 tsp. salt 1/2 tsp. baking soda Topping: 5 or 6 large peaches, diced. 3 Tbsp. butter, melted 11/4 C brown sugar 1Tbsp. cinnamon 2 tsp. nutmeg 4 Tbsp. flour Vanilla Icing: 1 Tbsp. butter 1 tsp

PRESENT TOPIARY TO DECORATE YOUR PORCH AND FRONT DOOR!

   This comes from www.thatvillagehouse.blogspot.com .  I made something similar a couple years ago, without the pots.  It was about 6 feet high.  I got the inspiration from a Chirstmas dectoration that we bought at Target. This is a very good idea and make a great enterance to your home.  So here's a little something to thing about for next year.  Before you know it December will be here again.  You could also do something like this for an Easter theme.   Enjoy! A Merry Welcome! So here is my first Christmas project for the year!! I saw something similar at our church's Advent celebration & pretty much straight up copied it. I couldn't help it. It was love at first sight! I plan to make a 2nd stack to go on the other side of my door, so I'm not completely done, but I thought I would share it with you anyway. I started with 3 different sized boxes...9, 12 & 14 inch cubes. I used an ice pick to punch holes in each of them so that I could run

SAPPORO SNOW FESTIVAL FROM JAPAN!!!

     The Sapporo Snow Festival is a famous festival held annually in Sapporo, Japan, over 7 days in February.  Currently, Odori Park, Susukino, and Tsudome are the main sites of the festival.  The 2011 Yuki-matsuri dates are February 7th to the 13th.    The festival is one of Japan's largest and most distinctive winter events.  In 2007, about 2 million people visited Sapporo to see the hundreds of snow statues and ice sculptures at the Odori Park and Suskino sites, in central Sapporo, and the Satoland site.  The festival is thought to be an opportunity for promoting international relations. The International Snow Sculpture Contest has been held at the Odori Park sit since 1974, and teams from various regions of the world participate.      The subject of the statues varies and often features as event, famous building or person from the previous yer.  For example, in 2004, there were statues of Hideki Matsui, the famous baseball player who at that time pl