Skip to main content

RASPBERRY SWIRL SWEET ROLLS!

   This recipe comes from http://www.thecurvycarrot.com .  Nothing like sweet rolls first thing in the morning.  
Yyyyuuuummmm!







Happy Saturday.
It’s been a long week, hasn’t it?  We’ve all worked hard, especially after coming off all those holidays, right?  We deserve a little boost to a Saturday morning.
I’m quickly realizing that as I get more and more comfortable with yeast breads, I have discovered a brand new feeling. I’ll find a recipe, actually PLAN IN ADVANCE (which is a new concept, considering I usually go off of cravings and what is available to me in the fridge…), and prep the night before.   I will make as much of the recipe as possible, and then have it completely ready to pop into the oven the next morning. My alarm will go off (or not, especially if it’s a weekend), I will feel the need for some major caffeine, and then I suddenly remember that I will soon have the most amazing breakfast before me.  It’s a great feeling.
I’m usually not a sweet kind of breakfast person.  I always go for the more hearty things: eggs, quiche, savory breads, etc.  But these sweet rolls called to me from the pages of Food and Wine Magazine.  And when I did make them, they blew me away.  Yes, as with any yeast type bread, there are periods of rising, resting, and rolling.  But, it’s really not all that complicated.  And that butter glaze?  To die for.  I literally ate these every single day until they were gone, which ended up being a lot (now that I think about it….).  If you are in a New Year’s mentality with eating, I advise you to bookmark them for a later date.  If you are not, enjoy. :)


Raspberry Swirl Sweet Rolls

Servings: 16 rolls



Ingredients


For the dough

1 cup milk

2/3 cup sugar

1 and 1/2 tablespoons active dry yeast

1 stick unsalted butter, softened

2 large eggs

1 teaspoon finely grated lemon zest

1/2 teaspoon fine sea salt

4 and 1/4 cups all-purpose flour, plus more for dusting***I made a boo-boo and ran out of white flour in the middle of this.  I substituted half white and half whole wheat flour, and they still turned out just fine!


For the filling

One 10-ounce package frozen raspberries, not thawed***Try substituting different berries or a mixture of them!

1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons sugar

1 teaspoon cornstarch

For the glaze

3/4 cup confectioners’ sugar

3 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted

1 and 1/2 tablespoons heavy cream



Instructions

1. For the dough: In a small saucepan, warm the milk over moderately low heat until it’s 95°.
2. Pour the warm milk into the bowl of a standing electric mixer fitted with the dough hook and stir in the sugar and yeast.
3. Let stand until the yeast is foamy, about 5 minutes.
4. Add the softened butter, eggs, grated lemon zest and sea salt.
5. Add the flour and beat at medium speed until a soft dough forms, about 3 minutes.
6. Increase the speed to medium-high and beat until the dough is soft and supple, about 10 minutes longer.
7. Scrape the dough out onto a lightly floured surface and knead it with your hands 2 or 3 times.
8. Form the dough into a ball and transfer it to a lightly buttered bowl.
9. Cover the dough with plastic wrap and let stand in a warm place until doubled in bulk, 1 to 2 hours.
10. Line the bottom of a 9-by-13-inch baking pan with parchment paper, allowing the paper to extend up the short sides. Butter the paper and sides of the pan.
11.Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured work surface and, using a rolling pin, roll it into a 10-by-24-inch rectangle.
12. For the filling: In a medium bowl, toss the frozen raspberries with the sugar and cornstarch.
13. Spread the raspberry filling evenly over the dough. Tightly roll up the dough to form a 24-inch-long log.
14. Working quickly, cut the log into quarters. Cut each quarter into 4 slices and arrange them in the baking pan, cut sides up. Cover the rolls and let them rise in a warm place until they are puffy and have filled the baking pan, about 2 hours.*****I let mine rise for the two hours at room temperature, and then I covered them with plastic wrap at that point and popped them into the refrigerator overnight.  I brought them back up to room temperature the next morning as the oven preheated.
15. Preheat the oven to 425°.
16. Bake the rolls for about 25 minutes, until they are golden and the berries are bubbling. Transfer the pan to a rack to cool for 30 minutes.
17. For the glaze: In a small bowl, whisk the confectioners’ sugar with the butter and heavy cream until the glaze is thick and spreadable.
18. Invert the rolls onto the rack and peel off the parchment paper. Invert the rolls onto a platter. Dollop glaze over each roll and spread with an offset spatula. Serve warm or at room temperature.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

VANILLA PEACH COFFEE CAKE!!

Did you know that the fruit this summer is supposed to be the best it has been in years? Apparently, fruit loves hot weather. I personally have eaten more peaches and cherries this summer than I have in about five years just for that reason.  As I have been a little overzealous lately buying peaches and cherries I found myself with a few peaches that were going to be too ripe for me to eat on the same day. That is unless I wanted to have them for every meal plus a few snacks. So I decided to make this recipe for Vanilla Peach Coffee Cake.  Vanilla Peach Coffee Cake Adapted from  Allrecipes.com Batter: 2 eggs 1 C milk 1/2 C oil 1 tsp. vanilla 1/2 C  sour cream 3 C flour 1 C sugar 1 tsp. baking powder 1/2 tsp. salt 1/2 tsp. baking soda Topping: 5 or 6 large peaches, diced. 3 Tbsp. butter, melted 11/4 C brown sugar 1Tbsp. cinnamon 2 tsp. nutmeg 4 Tbsp. flour Vanilla Icing: 1 Tbsp. butter 1 tsp

PRESENT TOPIARY TO DECORATE YOUR PORCH AND FRONT DOOR!

   This comes from www.thatvillagehouse.blogspot.com .  I made something similar a couple years ago, without the pots.  It was about 6 feet high.  I got the inspiration from a Chirstmas dectoration that we bought at Target. This is a very good idea and make a great enterance to your home.  So here's a little something to thing about for next year.  Before you know it December will be here again.  You could also do something like this for an Easter theme.   Enjoy! A Merry Welcome! So here is my first Christmas project for the year!! I saw something similar at our church's Advent celebration & pretty much straight up copied it. I couldn't help it. It was love at first sight! I plan to make a 2nd stack to go on the other side of my door, so I'm not completely done, but I thought I would share it with you anyway. I started with 3 different sized boxes...9, 12 & 14 inch cubes. I used an ice pick to punch holes in each of them so that I could run

SAPPORO SNOW FESTIVAL FROM JAPAN!!!

     The Sapporo Snow Festival is a famous festival held annually in Sapporo, Japan, over 7 days in February.  Currently, Odori Park, Susukino, and Tsudome are the main sites of the festival.  The 2011 Yuki-matsuri dates are February 7th to the 13th.    The festival is one of Japan's largest and most distinctive winter events.  In 2007, about 2 million people visited Sapporo to see the hundreds of snow statues and ice sculptures at the Odori Park and Suskino sites, in central Sapporo, and the Satoland site.  The festival is thought to be an opportunity for promoting international relations. The International Snow Sculpture Contest has been held at the Odori Park sit since 1974, and teams from various regions of the world participate.      The subject of the statues varies and often features as event, famous building or person from the previous yer.  For example, in 2004, there were statues of Hideki Matsui, the famous baseball player who at that time pl