Skip to main content

DIY CHALKBOARD VASES!


This diy comes form www.centsationalgirl.com. Very good gift idea for the coming New Year. Enjoy!


DIY: Colored Chalkboard Vases


Greetings, I hope you had a lovely weekend! I spent mine mostly indoors with big rainstorms hitting our area, so I had a little fun inside doing some crafting.
I had two quarts of tinted chalkboard paint sitting in my garage, waiting for some projects I plan to get to in the near future. I couldn’t resist the idea of ‘sampling’ the colors this past weekend making some colored chalkboard vases. Fun fun fun! Something about the notion of leaving sentimental or seasonal notes on glass appealed to me, so I tinkered around creating a few versions around the house.
Every time I bring home fresh flowers, whether from the grocery store or farmer’s market, my 7 year old asks me for a single stem for her room. Love that! I thought it would be sweet to make a little chalkboard vase for her in a bright colored paint , one where I could write little encouraging notes or endearing sentiments.
This bud vase was created with Rust-Oleum’s ‘Raspberry’ shade.


cg pink chalkboard final


And this gray label with Hudson Paint’s ‘So Stone’ tint:


cg spring gray chalkboard vase


This is such a fun way to personalize vases, whether for you, or for a housewarming gift, or perhaps someone recovering from illness. These make a great gift for friends too!


How to Make Colored Chalkboard Vases, Supplies You’ll Need:
Clear glass vase of choice
Tinted chalkboard paint (both Rust-Oleum and Hudson have great colors)
Frosted glass spray paint
Packaging tape
X-Acto knife or box cutter
Paintbrushes
Chalk or chalk ink markers (found at craft stores)

supplies



Begin by taping off any sections of your glass vase you do not wish to coat with tinted chalkboard paint. Both of these tinted chalkboard paints are water based, so to give them the very best adhesion to glass, I used a frosted glass spray paint to act as a primer. Frosted glass spray paint is designed to adhere to glass, and it dries quickly (in less than 10 minutes!) so it makes the perfect ‘primer’ for giving your tinted chalkboard paint staying power. Give your vase two good coats.
Next, apply two to three layers of the colored chalkboard paint to the vase, directly on top of the frosted glass spray paint. Allow it to dry between coats.


tape and paint


If you wish to carve out any pattern on the glass, like with the gray label version seen above, use the X-acto knife or box cutter to do so. A Silhouette craft cutter would also do the job just as nicely.


xacto knife



After your paint layers are dry, carefully peel off your packaging tape. Any rough edges can be carefully corrected with a small flat head screwdriver.


smooth edges



After a few coats of paint, you have a perfectly fantastic surface for writing notes with chalk.


cg i love you pink chalkboard vase



Or if you’ve discovered the wonder of chalk ink pens, you can leave your sentiments in different colors. Whoever invented chalk ink pens is a complete genius !!


cg sweet dreams pink chalkboard vase



I created this second version for me, for welcoming in the seasons.
I just love it!


cg spring gray chalkboard vase 2

cg pink tulips chalkboard vase



And another fun use of that chalk ink . . . I’m completely addicted.
Please send help right away.
smiley_thumb6

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

VANILLA PEACH COFFEE CAKE!!

Did you know that the fruit this summer is supposed to be the best it has been in years? Apparently, fruit loves hot weather. I personally have eaten more peaches and cherries this summer than I have in about five years just for that reason.  As I have been a little overzealous lately buying peaches and cherries I found myself with a few peaches that were going to be too ripe for me to eat on the same day. That is unless I wanted to have them for every meal plus a few snacks. So I decided to make this recipe for Vanilla Peach Coffee Cake.  Vanilla Peach Coffee Cake Adapted from  Allrecipes.com Batter: 2 eggs 1 C milk 1/2 C oil 1 tsp. vanilla 1/2 C  sour cream 3 C flour 1 C sugar 1 tsp. baking powder 1/2 tsp. salt 1/2 tsp. baking soda Topping: 5 or 6 large peaches, diced. 3 Tbsp. butter, melted 11/4 C brown sugar 1Tbsp. cinnamon 2 tsp. nutmeg 4 Tbsp. flour Vanilla Icing: 1 Tbsp. butter 1 tsp

PRESENT TOPIARY TO DECORATE YOUR PORCH AND FRONT DOOR!

   This comes from www.thatvillagehouse.blogspot.com .  I made something similar a couple years ago, without the pots.  It was about 6 feet high.  I got the inspiration from a Chirstmas dectoration that we bought at Target. This is a very good idea and make a great enterance to your home.  So here's a little something to thing about for next year.  Before you know it December will be here again.  You could also do something like this for an Easter theme.   Enjoy! A Merry Welcome! So here is my first Christmas project for the year!! I saw something similar at our church's Advent celebration & pretty much straight up copied it. I couldn't help it. It was love at first sight! I plan to make a 2nd stack to go on the other side of my door, so I'm not completely done, but I thought I would share it with you anyway. I started with 3 different sized boxes...9, 12 & 14 inch cubes. I used an ice pick to punch holes in each of them so that I could run

DIY GLASS CHRISTMAS TREES!

   This diy comes from www.alderberryhill.blogspot.com .  These are very cool and look like an upper end designer look.  Start your Christmas decor now and you will have time to relax later when the holidays do arrive! Glass Christmas Trees Happy Weekend Everyone! Christmas crafting is in full swing for everyone by now and I am enjoying the crafting season as well. I love the color turquoise and am trying to work it into my Christmas decor. Here is my latest turquoise creation. Glass Christmas Trees And here is how I put them together. What you will need for the project: Styrofoam cones or stack trees. Craft paint Brush Glue gun Glue sticks Glass bowl fillers (the ones that are flat on the bottom). The process is so simple. Paint the styrofoam, let dry Glue on the glass I glued the glass on using a brick laying technique. The second row started at the seam of two glass pieces, not directly above the one below it. Sometimes