Skip to main content

EASY ST. NICK PORTRAIT!







   This comes form www.bowerpowerblog.com .  A terrific idea for your holiday mantle or just hanging in a particular some to brighten up the Christmas season.  Even though Christmas has past it's never too early to start on next season.  Enjoy!

Hands down my favorite christmas project. That is what this post is all about.
But let me start at the beginning.
Our mantle got a simple sprucing. We went for classic decor this year…nothing cluttered…and we wanted any potential buyers who came to see the house to be impressed with the house…and not distracted by the massive amounts of christmas decor. So when it came to our mantle we simply hung our stockings and threw a bit of faux greenery on the mantle top. Then we stuck silver ornaments in and around the branches. Two candlesticks looked classic and simple enough…but then we were stuck. What to put in the middle?



At first, I wanted to create a knock off of the Pottery Barn NOEL sign. But then I saw 1.2 million people online make the same one…and probably better than what I could make….and cheaper than I could make it. So it made me question my decision.



Right between my thoughts of “Is there any other christmas word that I could substitute for Noel that would be cool?” and “Dang them wicked awesome crafty bloggers”, I found a picture a la Pottery Barn Christmas catalog of yore that boasted a lovely canvas of Dear ole St. Nick himself.




It really got my wheels turning. I loved the simple portrait…and I adored the fact that I could use this as a future playroom decor item come Christmas time in future years. I also liked the simple white and silver finish. But the Pottery Barn was glittered…and I wasn’t thrilled about thinking of glittering an entire canvas. And that was another thing…I didn’t have a canvas. I just had a big piece of plywood.




Then I started brainstorming…how the heck am I gonna turn a bitty picture I could find online of Mr. Claus into a big piece of art? I remembered my middle school art teacher’s enlarging method. It is as easy as drawing a grid over the photo like this:




Then you draw the same grid (just bigger) on your canvas (or in this case my plywood painted with a coat of white semi-gloss paint). Sure, it took a little math but I figured out that I could convert each little 1 inch box to 3.75 inches on our 2 foot square of wood. After I did the lines, it was as simple as copying each box exactly the same.




I sketched it in pencil and did each box till my santa was complete.





Then I used some silver paint pens to fill in the Kris Kringle. After it was all dried, I just took the pencil eraser and removed the grid lines.





Now for the finished product…




Doesn’t he look so jolly on our mantle?




And still simple and classic, right?




I love how it finishes off the mantle…plus, it is a handpainted piece of art that adds some charm and I know will be a beloved christmas decor item for many many years. And it cost me NOTHING. Not bad for free, huh?




So that’s my favorite project of Christmas 2010. What do you think? Do you love the Santa or do you think I was wrong to veer away from Noel? Anyone else remember the grid-method? Or are you one of those lucky people that have a projector? Or maybe you are just thrilled at the fact that you could do a handpainted piece without actually owning a paintbrush?
Stay tuned…there are three more days of ABP holiday crafts and home decor! It’ll get you in the ho-ho-holiday mood :)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

VANILLA PEACH COFFEE CAKE!!

Did you know that the fruit this summer is supposed to be the best it has been in years? Apparently, fruit loves hot weather. I personally have eaten more peaches and cherries this summer than I have in about five years just for that reason.  As I have been a little overzealous lately buying peaches and cherries I found myself with a few peaches that were going to be too ripe for me to eat on the same day. That is unless I wanted to have them for every meal plus a few snacks. So I decided to make this recipe for Vanilla Peach Coffee Cake.  Vanilla Peach Coffee Cake Adapted from  Allrecipes.com Batter: 2 eggs 1 C milk 1/2 C oil 1 tsp. vanilla 1/2 C  sour cream 3 C flour 1 C sugar 1 tsp. baking powder 1/2 tsp. salt 1/2 tsp. baking soda Topping: 5 or 6 large peaches, diced. 3 Tbsp. butter, melted 11/4 C brown sugar 1Tbsp. cinnamon 2 tsp. nutmeg 4 Tbsp. flour Vanilla Icing: 1 Tbsp. butter 1 tsp

PRESENT TOPIARY TO DECORATE YOUR PORCH AND FRONT DOOR!

   This comes from www.thatvillagehouse.blogspot.com .  I made something similar a couple years ago, without the pots.  It was about 6 feet high.  I got the inspiration from a Chirstmas dectoration that we bought at Target. This is a very good idea and make a great enterance to your home.  So here's a little something to thing about for next year.  Before you know it December will be here again.  You could also do something like this for an Easter theme.   Enjoy! A Merry Welcome! So here is my first Christmas project for the year!! I saw something similar at our church's Advent celebration & pretty much straight up copied it. I couldn't help it. It was love at first sight! I plan to make a 2nd stack to go on the other side of my door, so I'm not completely done, but I thought I would share it with you anyway. I started with 3 different sized boxes...9, 12 & 14 inch cubes. I used an ice pick to punch holes in each of them so that I could run

SAPPORO SNOW FESTIVAL FROM JAPAN!!!

     The Sapporo Snow Festival is a famous festival held annually in Sapporo, Japan, over 7 days in February.  Currently, Odori Park, Susukino, and Tsudome are the main sites of the festival.  The 2011 Yuki-matsuri dates are February 7th to the 13th.    The festival is one of Japan's largest and most distinctive winter events.  In 2007, about 2 million people visited Sapporo to see the hundreds of snow statues and ice sculptures at the Odori Park and Suskino sites, in central Sapporo, and the Satoland site.  The festival is thought to be an opportunity for promoting international relations. The International Snow Sculpture Contest has been held at the Odori Park sit since 1974, and teams from various regions of the world participate.      The subject of the statues varies and often features as event, famous building or person from the previous yer.  For example, in 2004, there were statues of Hideki Matsui, the famous baseball player who at that time pl